In mid January I decided that I should get back into the habit of exercising. Not being one who does things well without a goal in mind I started looking around the area for races. I did a 5k back in 2008 so I figured that would be a good place to start; and thus I started back up with the Couch to 5k routine. It’s real easy, especially in the beginning. The one thing I have to keep reminding myself is that I didn’t have to run 6mph when it told me to jog; I could just, jog! Getting back into the mode of exercising most days was hard at first, but after 2 or 3 weeks it became second nature:
I still had a couple hiccups in there; my Mother-in-law was visiting so I didn’t feel right working out on the treadmill (which was in the room she was staying in). And I’d rather not discuss the 28th except to say that I was having my car worked on and was VERY stressed out that day and also unable to workout. So this little routine continued until this last weekend when I ran in the St Patty’s Day 5k. Here’s the course map:
Not too difficult, until you start going and encounter the hills….meh. But on the way down to the the finish there were some amazing views:
And that was just on my way back to the car. I am pleased to say that I finished the race in 37:00; I know that’s not earth shattering-ly good, but it’s better than my last 5k 2 years ago. I accredit my success to running in a skirt and these socks:
Not very outrageous…you should have seriously see what some people were running in, it was hilarious!
Now what? I’m not quite sure. I’ll continue to exercise and try finding another 5k in a couple months to see if I can improve my time even more. A couple of the girls at work are going to compete in some crazy obstacle course later this year, but I don’t think I’m quite up for that.
Insert Month Here
- Only at #eccc do you see an Imp Mercy (ftom the video game Overwatch) hang out with Laura (X-23)… instagram.com/p/BRPy5ykAGPf/ 6 months ago
- Didn't realize it was Leif Erickson day (even though I spent the AM in Ballard) Lykkelig Leif Erickson dag! 11 months ago
- A wee mitten sampler made for my Sami mitten class by Laura Ricketts. @ Nordic Heritage Museum instagram.com/p/BLW4CEfACQf/ 11 months ago
- I have a concern 😱 #thatsnotmyname instagram.com/p/BKJZXZjAem_/ 1 year ago
- That's quite a bit of blue. Malabrigo Sock in Cabiñero and the beginnings of the #Multnomahshawl. instagram.com/p/BJtDZQKghBp/ 1 year ago